Sunday, October 12, 2008

Whale Talk By:Chris Crutcher

Chris Crutcher has a good grasp, and know how for teens. He spent 5 years as the Director of an alternative school K-twelfth grade in Oakland, California. This is a School that helps troubled teens make it through High School. Crutcher has received many outstanding honors for his novels.

This novel basically, has to do with a High School swim team, and all their adventures during training, and competing for trophies. The irony of Cutler High is that the High School had no swimming pool, so the teens had no where to practice in the water.

The bus that transported the swimming team, became the spot or place, where the boy's slowly began to open up to each other, and talk, and get to know each other better. Of course Cutler High Swim Team, at the start, does not excel, but improves slowly. The team trains very hard, and in the end of the season becomes a champion. In fact, the Cutler High Swimming Team trains ardently on land doing the motions of swimming strokes.
I myself have been on a swim team, so I know how important training is. I never received a gold medal, I only earned bronze medals.
This novel to me is super interesting. It shows courage, and endurance to teens. I recommend this novel to teens interested in sports.

No comments: